Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Post Ike

By Thursday morning it was pretty certain that Ike was headed very close in our direction. Though there is always that cone of uncertainty, I myself was almost certain. My company let us leave at noon on Thursday to go home and prepare. This is the first hurricane I can remember going through as I was not here in 1983 during Alicia (I dodged that one because my family lived in Corpus Christi). It was pretty scary, I tried to wait up Friday night- Saturday morning for when it hit but I was to exhausted and went to bed. I did wake up as it came through and slept very little from about 2:30 am until 6:30 am. We lost power about 4:00 am on Saturday and after the rain calmed down we went to my father in laws and picked up a generator. It has been kind of fun hanging out with the neighbors, cooking on the BBQ pit, drinking beer, listening to the sound of the generators through out the day and night. We were very fortunate to have no damage to our home, but alot of people on my street were not so fortunate. Luckily we never lost water so I was able to shower each night- that was a blessing. I did get power late last night so we are truly blessed. My heart goes out to the families who have lost their homes and loved ones. I am truly blessed that everyone in my family was unharmed. God Bless all of you in the Texas Gulf Coast area. You are all in my prayers.

1 comment:

E said...

Glad to hear you are OK! Stay safe.