Monday, April 26, 2010

Lone Star Sprint Race Report

It feels strange to write a report on a short distance when I am known to Coach G as a endurance junkie, but triathlon is new to me so maybe one day I will look back on this post and see what I have learned. I arrived in Galveston around 1:30 on Friday afternoon, after checking into the hotel I headed to athlete check in. After I picked up my race packet I met up with Coach G and Greg and we walked over to transition to see where I would be set up on Saturday morning. After being in awh of how many bikes/people would be in there in 16 hrs and being relieved that the rows were lettered and numbered we headed to the swim start. The water was calm and I started to anticipate how long it would take me in this open water swim. I was nervous yet excited. Later in the evening I met up with several teammates for dinner and got to bed about 9pm.
Saturday morning wake up call came in at 4:15. I ate some oatmeal, got dressed, aired up the tires and headed to transition at 5:15. With in 15 mins I was set up and ready to go, I chatted with some of the ladies in my wave- lots of them new to triathlon as well and then made one last bathroom stop. As I headed to the swim start it started to drizzle, then the nerves started to sink in. Coach G and Greg came down to help me get in my wet suit and to calm my nerves, About 10 mins before the first wave was set to start, the skies got dark, the wind picked up and the water started to dance. Race officials delayed the race for 30 mins and then decided to call off the swim. I heard later that the buoys when not stay secure, but I know I was getting very scared of the waves I was about to have to swim in. Thank god I did not have to swim in that- I think I would have drown. We were told to go back to transition and wait for direction, but that we would have a duathlon.
They sent us out on the 12.5 bike ride one row at a time starting with row A… I was row G, once the row was out of transition they sent the next row out 3 secs later. The bike coarse was pretty congested not to mention the cross wind was a biatch; at times it was difficult to make a pass. I fought the wind and rode as hard as I could and made it back in in 44:20 and in 31st for my age group ( I am actually happy with this 31/89 cause I am not great on the bike). Transition was 2:02.
I headed out on my run feeling a little tight in the legs, the run was hot and I had to start walking more than I would like to admit, I had carried a water bottle with me so I had fluid for the run and I used the aid stations to pour the cold ice water on my head to keep my temp down. The ladies in my age group seem to be faster runners than I, I ended up with a 5k time of 31:36 with total finish time of 1:18:01 and 43/89 in my age group. So I finished in the top half, which I am happy with. I have lots of room for improvement, but most importantly I had fun and I did a great job.
I had lots of friends and family out to support me and to cheer me on! Thank god for them!
Sunday I returned the favor to my teammates for 70.3. Truly inspirational! Oh and I got to meet Chris Lieto!


Christina said...

Good thing they changed it to a duathalon with the choppy waves. This means you have to tri another one. Great job!

Richard said...

Those Saturday water conditions were definitely getting ugly and I think that calling off the swim was the best thing they could do.

Awesome job out there!

Adrienne said...

Open water, or swimming at all is tough! Congrats girl!:)

chris mcpeake said...

great job, congrates

Diana said...

Nice job and great time!
Too bad that had a last minute change with the swim, but better to be safe.

Johann said...

Well done, that's very good!

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

Congrats! Thank goodness they called of that rough water swim. Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to following along on your journey.