Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Avia Austin Triathlon- Oly

I participated in my first Olympic distance triathlon on Monday in Austin and this was by far the most fun I have had in a race. It was challenging in many ways but I felt the best I have felt in a triathlon thus far. Logan and I got into Austin later Saturday afternoon and checked in to the hotel unpacked and headed out for a beer. We found a great Brewery called Uncle Billy's Brew and Cue great place to sit on a patio and enjoy a cold beer and the low humidity. My favorite beer was Agave Wit a Belgian style wheat beer with orange peel. Sunday morning I got up and started getting my transition bag packed and met up with Micah and Brandi to head over to bike check in and packet pick up. At the expo we picked up a few things t-shirt, cycling jersey, monkey grease wipes and out race stuff. I was given the bib number of 444 and a blue swim cap- finally something other than pink. After bike we were situated in transition we headed to Aussie's for a light lunch. Sunday night we ate at Taverna this place I highly recommend it was fabulous. I chose the Risotto all' Acento Balsamic con Pollo and for dessert Budino di Ciccolato. After dinner I tried to get to sleep but as usual I had the pre-race jitters and it seemed like I tossed and turned for hours. 5 am wake up call as soon as my feet hit the floor I felt ready for my race. After I got everything set up in transition I met up with Bill, Jon, John, Brandi and Greg and Gena. We chit chatted about the race and butterflies started to fill my stomach. It was not long before Gena helped me zip up my wetsuit and I was jumping off the dock. When I hit the water it was cold, it kind of surprised me how cold in actually was. The gun went off and I started swimming, I got in a bit of a rhythm with a few gals in my wave and it really seemed to click as I was swimming. Yes I stopped a couople times to clear my fogged goggels but I did not have to turtle head, flip over on my back, dog paddle it was all freestyle baby. After a while I was being pulled out of the water by a volunteer and they had my wetsuit at my waist and I was running to T1 40.29 swim. Wet suit off, glasses on, helmet on, wipe feet and bike shoes on and I was running. The run to bike mount was about 1/4 of a mile if not more making T1 a long transition just over 4 mins. Bike coarse did I mention while I was swimming there came a down pour, as I am taking Gena yells for me to take it easy on my turns that the roads are very wet. 3 loops up and down Congress out Cheaser Chaves, hills were challenging, by the 3rd loop the streets were near dry. 1:31:XX 16.3 avg mph. Again I had to run forever to rack my bike and head out for the run, 3:31 T2. run coarse was fun, loots of people on the coarse lots of team and friend support, it was a hot run but the first loop I felt wonderful did not stop for walk break at all, the second loop the heat was starting to get to me a bit I walked at the aid stations but still had a great run. race pace was 10:42. Total time 3:25:41.

Today I signed up for Ironstar 70.3 November 7th. I think I am a nut case.

Hope to see you on the roads soon!


Richard said...

You are most definitely a nut case. Welcome to the asylum, we've been saving you a place!

Seriously, Misty, you did an awesome job and you should be very proud of yourself.

Good luck at Ironstar!

Diana said...

What a great job-congratulations! It's so much fun when you're "ready" the minute your feet hit the floor after the alarm clock goes off!
Congrats on the 70.3 registration-I have a feeling you'll do great!

Johann said...

Well done, that's a great performance! Already signed up again...? Good for you!

Jenny said...

There is a Taverna in Fort Worth we love going to. And the Budino is AMAZING!